A lot of us want to sleep but we don’t fall asleep! We lay in bed for hours together before sleeping…Insomnia, Sleeplessness, tired nights are the common complaints that we hear from our friends & relatives. Our minds are constantly wandering & not willing to shut especially in the night times…Why do you think is this happening? Why do you think you are not a morning person, who just cannot wake up early in the morning but can stay awake till 3 a.m. in the night?
Exploring the Common Reasons of Sleeplessness
In this blog post, I am not going to talk about ageing, mind wandering, excessive use of mobile phones, but some common habits, which have been neglected & not thought they played a role hampering sleep. Opening the new book of the common reasons of sleeplessness will help you in realising what is needed for body & what not!
- Drinking Coffee post Sunset: Caffeine is a stimulant & drinking it or any kind of stimulant will take away your sleep. It doesn’t relax your body or put you to sleep. Usually, people who study late nights adopt drinking coffee to shu the sleep!
Body is winding up the activities of the intestine & preparing to relax, focusing on repairing the damaged cells & tissues. Hence, loading with stimulants & heavy food will prevent the body from winding up its intestine work!
- Eating Heavy Dinners: People who have built up the habit of being hungry in the daytime & loading their gut with heavy food post office hours in the evening & night are going to definitely struggle with a sound sleep.
- Eating Full Fat Foods: Cultivating the habit of consuming Vada Pav, Pav Bhaji, Bakery stuffs in the evening as a snack means to load the intestine, while the intestine is winding up & the body is preparing for sleep. Eating junk & calorific foods, reverse the relaxing mode of the intestine thus disturbing the sleep.
- Calf Muscle Cramps: A lot of times, pregnant women & men after the age of 50, suffer from frequent calf muscle cramp in the middle of the night, disturbing their sleep- this is because of the deficiency of potassium. Bananas are a good source of potassium. Prevent your muscle cramps with eating bananas.
“Now, if you are blaming your smartphones, Facebook or your spouse for your sleeplessness, it is time to realise that it is your food habits that are causing insomnia & sleeplessness”
You Might also like: Constant Headaches: Deal with it or Cure it!
Cheat Tips for Sound Sleep
1. Cashews: The combination of Tryptophan & Vitamin B6 is the natural antidepressant, which will give you a sound sleep.
“Take 4-5 cashews in a pestle & mortar, grind it with some milk until a smooth consistency is achieved.”
Courtesy: Rujuta Diwekar
2. Ghee: Massage your feet with a drop or two of ghee, this will improve the blood circulation & relax you.
3. Light Dinners: The lighter the dinner, the better is your sleep.
4. Almond Oil: Massage your dark circles with almond oil, it will relax your eyes.
Let me know how did it work out for you!
Share This Post with someone you feel is suffering from Sleeplessness and tell them to follow the given tips and see for themselves!